Delaware Top Blogs

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Happy Yom Kippur

Yom Kippur is the festive Jewish holiday when you are not allowed to eat anything for 24, no make that 25, hours. Trust the Jews to make a 24-hour-day longer. This happens because kol nidre must come before sunset, and you can't eat after sunset, until the next sunset. Then you can't eat until ne'ila (closing the gates), which always seems to drag on forever. So, make that 26 hours.

A friend told me that Catholics are not required to fast on fast days after the age of 60. A sensible attitude. But the Jews exempt no-one. The exception: to save a life. Will I die without food for 26 hours? No, but I'll be plenty cranky.

To my Jewish friends--no, to all my friends--may you be inscribed in the book of life for a happy and healthy New Year.

No comments: