Delaware Top Blogs

Monday, February 26, 2018

Eating for beginners

My mother liked to make an opera--soap or grand, as the occasion demanded--out of little things.  For instance, she thought my brother was in imminent danger of starving because he had skinny arms and legs.  So she fed him at every opportunity.  After he had eaten dinner, if he left so much as a pea on his plate, she would take him to the drive-in and stuff him with French fries like someone stuffing a Strasburg goose.  This continued until the kid weighed 200 pounds, at 5'7".  She then started harping at him for being too fat.

 I was a fussy eater.  I liked hot chocolate, but if there was a layer of skim on the top of the cup, I not only would not eat it, I  ran out of the room screaming.  I wouldn't eat anything made with mayonnaise, because I couldn't identify the ingredients.  My father believed in stern discipline on the food front.  He made me sit at the table until I had consumed enough to satisfy him, or until bedtime, whichever came first.  Long dreary hours (probably only minutes, but they seemed like hours) passed as I stared at the congealed fat on my now tepid plate, without eating it of course. Mercifully, bedtime freed me.

  Then there was the morning milk.  Dad believed that milk was good for children, particularly at breakfast.  I could not, or would not, drink cold milk in the morning.  If I was made to drink it, I usually threw up.  Mealtimes were full of drama at our house.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing ..
I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?
I'm happy to seek out so many useful information right here in the post, we'd like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

. . . . .

Anonymous said...

Howdy! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.
Is it tough to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out
pretty quick. I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to start.
Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks

Anonymous said...

whoah this weblog is wonderful i love reading your articles.
Keep up the good work! You recognize, many persons are searching around for this info,
you could help them greatly.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been following your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I check your blogs like every week. Your story-telling style is awesome, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Does your website have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to shoot you an email.
I've got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it expand over time.

Dick Stanley said...

My parents only tried the stay-at-table-until-you-eat trick once. I'm not sure why they caved. Maybe they found the frozen mixed-vegetables we were avoiding in the drawers of the hutch where we shoveled them when they were out of the room.