Delaware Top Blogs

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

George Orwell was right

When the four volume set of Orwell's essays was published some time in the 70s, I bought it and read them all. His work is easy to read and interesting, so it wasn't hard to do.

One essay in particular caught my attention. Orwell objected to a law --recently passed at the time of writing--which would force gun owners to register their weapons. Orwell thought this was a first step to disarming the public and depriving them of the freedom to bear arms. Of course, being a liberal, I disagreed with him vehemently and thought he was an old fussbudget. Having come to my senses in the interval, I am amazed at his prescience.

Look at the situation in England--hoodlums looting and burning property while decent citizens can do nothing but stand back and watch helplessly.

1 comment:

craig said...

Orwell really was amazingly astute: he was Britain's Cassandra. I don't think any of his contemporaries came close to his record of getting the big things, the big questions, right.