Delaware Top Blogs

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The British Constitution

in a nutshell.

I've always loved Great Britain, the land of Shakespeare, P G Wodehouse, Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, and--don't laugh--Mary Poppins.  As a child, I loved to read books about English children who had crumpets for tea and celebrated Guy Fawkes Day.  I have no trouble adopting the Pilgrims and Puritans as ancestors even though they didn't grow up in Pinsk.

The United States would never have developed as it did and become the country it now is without its British heritage. Our Constitution grew out of theirs.

Since Mr Charm has a PhD in British History, I knew  the British had a constitution, albeit an "unwritten" one.   But this post clarifies the British Constitution and I found it interesting.  I also liked the idea that the oak tree, the national tree, symbolizes the British Constitution.

Read the whole thing. It's admirably clear.

No comments: