Delaware Top Blogs

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

This is a joke, right?

Librarians having sex in the stacks?

A 1992 survey of 5,000 U.S. librarians, long withheld by a professional journal, found one in five respondents had engaged in sexual trysts among the stacks.
I know an awful lot of librarians, and as far as I can see, there isn't a frisk in a carload.

I did know one elderly librarian who wore orthopedic shoes and had her (grey) hair in a bun who was reliably reputed to have gotten it on with a board member 40 years previously.

I also had dinner with a group of librarians at a convention, two of whom were arranging a tryst for later. But that was in Atlantic City. In a hotel room. Atlantic City is in this respect a lot like Las Vegas; unusual behavior is more common there.

There also was a flasher who exposed himself to a page in the stacks, but he did not hold a professional degree as far as I know.

Instapundit believes differently.

6 comments:

Paul Smith Jr. said...

I saw that on InstaPundit also. It put bad pictures in my head: I have a female friend who is a librarian and two more studying for their librarian degrees (MLS?). I'm not passing this one on to them, though. I'm not going to give them ideas...

Paul Mitchell said...

Twenty percent of librarians have sex at work? Personally, I do not find that hard to believe, books crank my tractor, too.

miriam sawyer said...

I never had that kind of fun at work. Guess I missed out.

Anonymous said...

Miriam, you have too much respect for the books! You were afraid to damage poor dears while flaying around violently, in paroxysms of passion!

miriam sawyer said...

Tat: Your comment paints an all too vivid picture.

Anonymous said...

But how else can the "sexy bespectacled librarian" legend is going to be sustained?
I wonder what percentage of visitors it is responsible [for]? Those guys resembling spring goose, with their necks stretched to see what's going on behind the stacks?