Delaware Top Blogs

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Better late than never

Only five years after retiring from my day-evening-and-weekend job as director of a library, I finally came up with the answer to the Gasbag's query:  "Do you know who I am?"

"Obviously you are nobody, because if you were someone I could be expected to recognise I would have recognized you."

Now I'll never get to say it.  Sigh.

The French call it l'esprit d'escalier, or staircase wit.  You think of the proper riposte on the way down the stairs, going home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to know how I'd called in French, Miriam.
Ah, even ridicule sounds so elegant and stylish in French...

I'm a champion in this staircase sport. Or, rather, it comes to me in the middle of the night when tossing in bed at 3am.

miriam sawyer said...

I think most of us suffer from staircase wit. It's a common complaint.