Delaware Top Blogs

Sunday, June 01, 2008

I'm not exactly back up, but I want to shoot off my mouth anyway.

I read somewhere that Steve Jobs, or was it Bill Gates, was testifying in Congress that we had to admit more technically trained foreigners because there were not enough Americans to fill these jobs. I am also reliably informed that lots of Americans are losing their jobs as the manufacturing sector tanks.


Can we put these two facts together? America, the good old US of A, has 300 million people, some of whom, in fact many of whom, need jobs. Meanwhile, we are importing foreigners from powerhouse countries like India to do the work that requires intelligence and training. On the third hand, we have a bunch of colleges deeply involved in turning out, after a decent interval--five years was the last figure I heard mentioned to get a four-year education--uneducated and illiterate persons.

What's wrong with this picture? Is the country which saved the world in World Wars I and II unable to educate enough citizens to fill highly technical positions? During WW II we turned out liberty ships in ten days because we needed to. Has the populace been inhaling toxic fumes which rob them of their wits?

Is witchcraft involved? The education system takes in bright six-year-olds, gives them six years of sensitivity training, two years of self-esteem promotion, four years of sex education, and four years of additional drivel like Carribean Lesbian Studies, and turns out dummies? Education actually dulls their wits! Yet someone in India who has never owned a pair of shoes becomes a doctor or biochemist?

Why does a Columbia graduate who also attended Harvard Law School believe that there are 57 states?

4 comments:

Tat said...

Thank god Miriam is back.

I missed you shooting your mouth (sensibly and eloquently, as usual)

airforcewife said...

miriam - your points are masterful.

I'd also like to point out that according to an IQ test I took before college compared to one I took on a whim after college, my IQ had dropped 9 points.

Coincidence? I think not.

Anonymous said...

I know Indians are never owned a pair of shoes becomes a doctor or biochemist.They are deferent.

Darren said...

The problems you identify won't be solved in Washington, that's for sure! If they're solved at all, it'll be on Main Street.