Delaware Top Blogs

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Jack Reacher's underwear

I've been reading Lee Child's books about Jack Reacher. His latest, Bad Luck and Trouble, is pretty good if you like that sort of thing, which I do. Lots of action, not much Inquiry into the Meaning of Life. He gets on with it.

You should know that Jack Reacher is a nomadic character, who goes wherever he listeth, carrying only a collapsible toothbrush. Wherever he goes, he finds intrigue and devilry and, after heroic effort, puts things right. He's a lone wolf, needless to say.

He has no spare clothing, wearing what he stand up in until he buys another outfit, and then discarding outfit A for outfit B. What bothers me is that toothbrush, or actually, what he doesn't carry besides it.

I mean, what does the man do for underwear? He sleeps with his clothes under the mattress, by which I gather that he is in the nude. But when he gets up and takes a shower, does he put on yesterday's dirty undies? Ugh! Or does he go commando? Also ugh, except not perhaps so much.

Also, in a related matter, what does he put on the toothbrush?

In my imagination, I have solved this problem. I have endowed Jack Reacher with a small attache case, containing a change of undies, toothpaste, deodorant, and a shaver.

It's so much neater that way.

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Jack Reacher don't need no stinkin' attache case.

I think Reacher rinses his undies out every night before he goes to bed. Or he goes commando.

miriam sawyer said...

Well, what about his socks?

Sassy said...

LOL!!!

Dick Stanley said...

Have you tried Burke's Dave Robicheaux series?

miriam sawyer said...

Dick: Yes, but I got tired of his PC sermonizing.

Dick Stanley said...

That's a good point, Miriam. But I suppose that's what you have to do to get a Guggenheim Foundation grant these days. I also got tired of the bizarre violence and the way Mr. R. never seemed to learn to keep his smart lip zipped.

miriam sawyer said...

Another writer with the same affliction is George Pelecanos. It's a pity, because he has a lot of talent.

miriam sawyer said...

Another writer with the same affliction is George Pelecanos. It's a pity, because he has a lot of talent.

Dick Stanley said...

I'm reading the first Reacher book now. It's intriguing. Being a military brat, and ex-Army officer, myself, makes it doubly so. OT, have you read The Yiddish Policemen's Union? I saw a review. It looked interesting.

Dick Stanley said...

I'm finishing the Reacher prequel now. Very cool guy. I will definitely read the rest in the series.