Delaware Top Blogs

Friday, April 06, 2007

I've always wondered...

why so many people want to live in California.

[W]ho on earth first got there and said “This looks like a GREAT place to raise fruit trees?” It’s a moderate miracle of human ingenuity that the place is the fruit basket of whatever percentage of the world. California consists of huge swaths of dreary, punctuated by breathtaking, with pockets of green and growing that still manage, somehow, to be dreary when compared to the cornfields of my Midwestern youth.


I've always wondered why people want to be surrounded by brown hills. The aforementioned hills remind me of piles of dirt excavated from a strip mine in West Virginia. Pennsylvania is 10 times prettier. Even New Jersey (in the right places) looks better--greener, lusher. But many people disagree with me, including lots of members of my own family, who can't get enough of the place.

7 comments:

airforcewife said...

I love California the PLACE, it's the PEOPLE that drive me nuts. I can say that - I'm a native Californian.

I do, however, remember our last trip there in September. I recall thinking, "I didn't remember California being so yellow!"

craig said...

Oh, Pennsylvania is plenty beautiful. I was born and raised here. But i have to admit, the first time i went to northern California, i was blown away.

At least part of the appeal is the easy variety-- mountains bumping into oceans, dense forests close by brown hill.

And no winter.

KurtP said...

I used to drive OTR, and every time I crossed into Cali- It seemed like there was this sense of,,,,opressiveness somehow.

And the miles and miles of ugly white windmills littering the hills like trash blown from a confetti factory.

Paul Smith Jr. said...

I was out in California (just north of LA) in 2005 visiting some friends. I've been a Delawarean virtually my whole life and I was struck by how alien California looked. It didn't look it belonged on this planet.

miriam sawyer said...

Craig: They have winter in the summer in San Francisco.

Anonymous said...

It's the Mexican food.

Dick Stanley said...

Lots of Californicators are moving to Texas. We wish they'd go back to their brown hills.