Delaware Top Blogs

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What's wrong with sour grapes?

I can't understand people who sneer at the sour grapes philosophy. I have found it quite useful in coping with everyday life.

Once I was interviewed for a job which I was seriously interested in. I could just see myself seated behind the desk in the attractive corner office, ordering everyone around, sending memos, holding staff meetings. Drinking coffee from Starbucks. Putting my feet on the desk. The job seemed cut out for me.

Alas, it was not to be. A friend of mine who was in the know told me that the board in question wanted to hire a man, and they did. I met him, a very nice man named Steve, worked on committees with him, and got to know him and like him. In the course of whatever project we were working on, I called him. Steve informed me that the Board was the Board from hell. He, and his predecessor, and her predecessor, all went to the mayor and asked that the Board president not be re-appointed. The mayor re-appointed her, and Steve quit his job and went into another line of work. He wanted nothing to do with libraries after working at that one.

I thanked my lucky stars that I had not gotten that job, sat behind that desk, looked out the window in that corner office, etc. I liked being a library director and did not want to forge a career in shoe sales at that time of my life.

Ever since this event, I had a whole new attitude. I decided that anyone who didn't want to hire me was pond scum. Any restaurant where I couldn't reserve a table must have lousy food. Any movie I missed was probably rotten. Anyone who dropped my friendship was a shmuck. And so on.

It has made me quite content with my life in this best of all possible worlds.

No comments: