Delaware Top Blogs

Monday, September 11, 2006

It's almost over

September 11, that is.

I have nothing particularly edifying to say about where I was or what I was doing. I wasn't doing anything different from what everyone else was doing. I do remember that it was a beautiful day, just as today has been. I also remember knowing in my gut that this meant war, that this was war.

I was reluctant to post anything today; when I examined my feelings, I realized that I was waiting: waiting for something horrible to happen before the day was over. It's almost midnight now, and nothing has happened. I can start breathing again. Soon.

We watched the ABC docudrama about the approach to 9/11. It was riveting. A perfect storm of bureaucracy, timidity, indifference, careerism and just plain incompetence. Then we watched Bush's speech. I don't see how anyone can deny that the President set out all the facts of our situation today. I can't imagine that anyone doesn't see the disaster ahead if we cut and run. Reasonable people can differ on what to do now, but all this carry-on about why we are in Iraq is pointless. We're there. Get used to it.

Senator Rockefeller had the audacity to claim that the world would be a better place if Saddam Hussein were still in power. It quite frightens me to think that his kind could be running the Senate in a few months.

No comments: