Delaware Top Blogs

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The sky is falling--part deux

From cynical nation , a bit of satire:

If anti-terror officials are allowed to access banking records now, then how long before the IRS has access to them as well?


Of course this was said cynically. But some of the commentors took it seriously. Read the whole thing, comments and all. You couldn't make this stuff up!

I once had a judgment against me. It was trivial matter of $200 or so, but I forgot all about the court date, so a judgment was entered. Fair enough. Act like a doofus, pay like a doofus.

What I didn't realize was that the court could go into any bank accounts I had in the county and take the money. Which they did.

So it's not only the IRS that can access your banking information. Anyone can. Apply for a car loan. Your credit report will include all your banking information. And everywhere you've ever lived. Including a place I never lived, but somehow they think I did, in San Francisco.

When I was director of the library, our lawyer, the Master of Red Tape, insisted on background checks on every new employee, even 16-year-old high school kids. Each background check cost $15. I don't know how much info you got for the price. I doubt whether their international phone calls were reported.

Anyway, all this information is out there. If you don't believe me, just google one of your friends.

Oops! I almost forgot--ht to the biggie himself, instapundit.

No comments: