Delaware Top Blogs

Friday, December 16, 2005

Terrorists--looking for your next target?--try Delaware...

the State of Unpreparedness.

Our water went off last night, around 9. I called the water company, of course, three times. Busy signal.

I called the county police, the non-emergency department. Asked if there was a water main broken or something which would account for this. They didn't know. They didn't say, "So far, we haven't heard of one." Just, "How would we know? We're only the police." So much for our First Responders. They made a helpful suggestion: call the water company. Gosh, I wish I'd thought of that!

I called the local newspaper. Way back in the 20th century, newspapers were open 24/7. Apparently this crew only work nine to five.

It reminded me of the early years of the Republic, when they would send a guy with a fast horse to inform the outlying regions who had been elected President. Sometimes they would get the news to the rustics in less than two weeks.

Now, I happen to know that the police have all this communications equipment, radios, etc. They also get money from Homeland Security, which they probably spend financing their annual hayride or barbeque. Or to buy the police dogs bulletproof vests.

If you called the Fort Lee, NJ police, they would know if there was a traffic backup at the George Washington Bridge. I think even the Newark (NJ) police would know whether there was a water main break or some reason citizens could not get water.

I want to tell you, brushing your teeth with seltzer just doesn't do it for me. Neither does cleaning your hands and face with baby wipes.

This morning, the water was restored. I called the water company to find out what had happened. The line was busy.

No comments: