Delaware Top Blogs

Monday, April 25, 2005

The pros and cons of being fit

David Brooks gloats:

If the report from researchers at the National Cancer Institute and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is correct - and it is the most thorough done to date - then it seems that Mother Nature has built a little Laffer curve into the fabric of reality: health-conscious people can hit a point of negative returns, so the more fit they are, the quicker they kick the bucket. People who work out, eat responsibly and deserve to live are more likely to be culled by the Thin Reaper.


In general, I am in accord with Brooks' views. But on the subject of weight lifting, I must dissent. I had a bone scaan several years ago and was found to have osteoporosis. The doctor told me to lift weights. I did, grudgingly.

Recently I had another bone scan and my spine is normal!. Wow! Something the doctor tells you to do actually works!

No comments: