Delaware Top Blogs

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

My mother the lawyer

I recently got a postcard reminding me that the anniversary of my mother's death is coming up. She's been gone more than 25 years now and I still miss her. She drove me crazy often while alive but her death left a hole that can't be filled. Still, we go on. I'm not saying I'm unhappy or anything; I just miss her.

Goldie Kanter Mayer was a combination of Yiddishe mama and firecracker lawyer. Sometimes she got the roles confused. She would mother her clients and fight for them. In return, they would mow her lawn or paint her house. They were hardbitten people, not a millionaire among them. Black people, and recent migrants (white)from West Virginia. They worshipped her, and she did not let them down. She loved, really loved, the law and being an attorney. She practiced law for at least forty years. She knew all the judges, court personnel and cops.

At her funeral, my uncle said, "They should have had Goldie's funeral at the first Baptist Church if they really wanted a big turnout."

She was honest and fearless. Any moral strengths I have can be attributed directly to her example.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

She also drank coffee from a jar, which she brought to restaurants and insisted that the waitress fill. Great sketch of Grandma!

Rachel said...

I miss her, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm a stay-at-home-mother bear/author/aspiring law student. I queried "mother lawyer" and asked the The Great and Powerful Google . . . and here was your blog. I love this post about your mother. What an incredibly lush tribute. I think I'd like to quote this post in my current book if it doesn't bother you. Feel free to remain unquoted if you would rather I didn't. I'm inspired all the same.

Take care,

CeCe Faust

Anonymous said...

I am working and nearly qualified as a lawyer, but aspiring to motherhood. I googled mother lawyers and found your blog. Maybe I can do it all and do it with great-ness too.

miriam sawyer said...

Anon: The best of luck to you.