Delaware Top Blogs

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Continuing my last post

I forgot to mention my new bete noir, E-Z Pass.

  I like gadgets, or used to, so I was an early adopter of E=Z Pass.  We were living in New Jersey at the time, and you know what hell the New Jersey roads are. ( If you don't know, you haven't missed a thing.  But I digress.)  At any rate, The late Mr Charm detested traffic.  He took it as a personal affront that anyone else wanted to use the roads at the same time he did.  He particularly hated being stuck in a line waiting to pay a toll, along with his objection to paying for tolls at all, since he already paid taxes.

  Anyway, my E Z Pass payments were supposed to come out of a credit card.  Unfortunately, the card had an expiration date, and duly expired.  So I was in arrears  on the bloody thing, and Delaware sent me a nasty note.  They wanted $4 for the toll, plus $25 administrative fee, plus $10 for some worthy cause and another $15 for another worthy cause.  The total amounted to $54, for a $4 toll.  A whole new definition of highway robbery.

  EZ Pass was supposed to make my life easier, not more complicated.  So I called New York, snd told them my tale of woe.  They promised to send me another E Z  Pass transponder, but wanted to know the license number of my car.  I can never remember what the license plate is, so they asked if I still was driving the 2011 Nissan Sentra, which they apparently considered the license  number of record,  I agreed, although I am actually driving a 2017 Nissan Sentra.  They don't need to know that, though, so I'll keep it a secret.

4 comments:

Dick Stanley said...

We have a similar deal in Texas. Really exorbitant fines for failing to pay the pittance on time.

ETat said...

Isn't it similar to the banks catching one on negative balance? I transferred money from checking to saving a bit earlier, not anticipating a bill soon - and of course, one arrived from the heating gas company. I was short $7.
Not only I was made to pay $30 for this gross overdraft - the bank deemed beneath them to pay those 7 bucks, so utility Co charged me another $30.
And when I came to the bank branch asked to open an overdraft protection with limit, they said the bank doesn't have this service!

Dick Stanley said...

BTW, you might like my novel: https://www.amazon.com/ga/p/a8f2fffe9e7d2e8e#ln-dei

Anonymous said...

Everything is very open with a precise clarification of the issues.
It was definitely informative. Your website is very
useful. Thank you for sharing!