Delaware Top Blogs

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Bertie Wooster quotes a poem

I always wondered where Bertie Wooster found this statement, which he made< I believe, about Aunt Agatha's country place: "Where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile."

What though the spicy breezes Blow soft o'er Ceylon's isle; Though every prospect pleases, And only man is vile; In vain with lavish kindness The gifts of God are strown; The heathen in his blindness Bows down to wood and stone.
Author: Bishop Reginald Heber
Source: From Greenland's Icy Mountains--Missionary Hymn


Turns out it is, as they say, from a missionary hymn, by a Bishop, no less.

I don't know why I am surprised--Bertie did win a Scripture Prize (a statue of the Infant Samuel at prayer) when he was a boy. He waas obviously well informed about things ecclesiastical.

4 comments:

miriam sawyer said...

The poem does not express the sentiments of the management of this blog--so no indignant e-mails, please.

Rachel said...

I'll send you an indignant email.

miriam sawyer said...

Nyah nyah nyah!

Anonymous said...

Good post. I am going through many of these issues as well.
.

Here is my web-site; sangharime.com