Delaware Top Blogs

Sunday, January 13, 2019

On reading

  I have to have at least two books in hand--one that I am currently reading and the one i am planning to read next.  i actually prefer to have a stack of unread books in case of emergency. unfortunately i find most books tiresome, which limits me a bit.  i like popular fiction, but the choice has to be well written and have credible characters and action which is not too implausible.  A little bit implausible is okay.  I'm not talking Great Books here. But I don't like to read about superhuman powers, for instance, or plans to blow up the planet. 

  I have tried to read to improve my mind by catching up with the books I didn't get a chance to read;  I was a literature major anyway and stand for Great Literature and culture generally.  I utterly failed to be impressed by most Great Books..  For instance, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.  Don Quixote.  Not crazy about Faulkner, either. 

 .  I like books about American history and English history  and Ancient Rome.  Biographies of great men, but only British and American ones.  I particularly like to read biographies of musicians and musical gossip generally.  I even like to read the notes in music programs.  

1 comment:

ETat said...

Then I have a recommendation for you: Stories of the Great Operas, by Ernest Newman. Apparently, it's a classic, as a friend informs me here, in the comments
https://creakypavillion.wordpress.com/2018/12/02/%d0%b0%d1%85-%d0%b4%d0%b0-%d1%82%d0%b0%d0%ba-%d0%b2%d0%be%d1%82-%d0%bc%d0%be%d1%85%d0%be%d0%bd%d0%ba/