Delaware Top Blogs

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Obama in French

Why does the President annoy me so? If I turn on the television and he is talking, I immediately change the channel. I was trying to figure out where this visceral reaction comes from. Today it came to me. A French phrase, for which we have no equivalent in English: He speaks en haut de bas. It actually means from high to low, but is generally considered to describe haughtiness-- the aristocrat looking down his nose at us peasants. It is infuriating.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't say I ever had that visceral reaction. But I did have a visceral reaction to the 8-year president before him (Bush) bobbing his head and talking as if it pissed him off to explain the obvious. He sneered alot, it seemed to me, & talked down his nose at reporters or anyone who might ask a disagreeable question--
yet he still frequently mispronounced common words that a fifth-grader should know like "nucular."

miriam sawyer said...

Explain? Bush? he never explained anything, a big flaw of his.

That "nucular" was a sensitive point with me as well.

miriam sawyer said...

However? I wasn't talking about Bush. He's about as relevant to this conversation as Ulysses S Grant.

John Salmon said...

Great stuff, Miriam...about as relevant to this conversation as Grant indeed. Obama's defenders can't defend him, so they always go after his predecessor.

John Salmon said...

I had a friend call me a racist for agreeing with your views on Obama's manner. The fact that I threw Gore into the same pot didn't appease him.