Delaware Top Blogs

Saturday, April 30, 2011

I don't know how much of this book I read...

before I concluded that it was hogwash.  Quite a bit, actually.  I think I read it until he started having heart-to-heart talks with the Taliban, or al-Queda, or some other stone killers who just rolled over and acted like pussy cats when he let loose the charm.  It seemed a bridge too far.  It had a few things going for it: 
Exotic setting--check.  Noble altruism--check.  Appealing kids--ditto.  You want to believe life is like that.  That the only thing standing in the way of educating little girls in a hellhole like that is lack of motivation.

In truth, it takes a lot of work to get anything organized, from the U S government to a library book sale.  Sigh.  I should have known.

1 comment:

airforcewife said...

I LOVE that this quote was used in the article:

a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity

It's truly perfect.

I remember reading a quote on a blog where someone said, "In my opinion, Greg Mortenson has done more for the advancement of Afghanistan than America ever did."

I wonder what that person thinks now. Actually, I'm pretty sure I know what that person thinks, because anyone who would choose only the fairytale bits and throw out the stuff that doesn't toe the line probably thinks that Mortenson is under attack unjustly.