Delaware Top Blogs

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Music in Delaware

 



I've been very lucky in finding good music here in Wilmington. Two weeks ago I heard a really good concert by the Delaware Symphony. The program featured Gershwin's American in Paris, which I've heard about as often as I've heard Barack Obama--that is, way too often. I thought I could not possibly get anything from hearing this piece again. I was wrong. I don't think I've ever heard it played live before, and the brasses were not to be missed. David Amado conducts with distinction. I think he is headed for bigger things.

Meanwhile, David's wife, Meredith, was also to be heard from. She has a new piano quartet, called the Pyxis Quartet, which played at a very special concert at the Delaware Art Museum. The concert took place in one of the galleries. I don't think I have ever heard music in a more intimate venue. The acoustics were excellent, and it was so nice to be so close to the performers, and in the presence of lovely paintings. The music must have sounded as it was originally meant to be heard.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: