Delaware Top Blogs

Monday, June 08, 2009

I attended a concert yesterday



of the Philadelphia Orchestra. It was excellent. Of course I didn't have time to read the program, I was busy listening to the music, which was lively, lots of brass.

When I got home I consulted the program, and what do you know, the theme of the concert was dies irae. It's from the Mass for the Dead, as sung by some monks somewhere, and refers to the last trump, end of the world, or judgment day. It means wrath of God, literally.

Of course, one number was totentanz by Liszt, which should have clued me in. I did a bit of research, and found that this is a common musical theme. It is found in Verdi's Requiem and a whole bunch of other places. But all the pieces played sounded downright cheerful.

There's a rock band using the name, too. I give them props for knowing Latin.

Oh yes, and you can download ringtones.

No comments: