Delaware Top Blogs

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Blogroll Amnesty Day or weekend, whatever

Jon Swift and a bunch of others have declared this weekend Blogroll Amnesty Day.

We little tiny blogs are supposed to link to five really really wee blogs that we really like and want to list on our blogroll.

Truthfully, I don't know of any little blogs because I don't know what the traffic of other blogs is, being obsessed with only my own traffic. But I do like and regularly read lots of blogs. I don't read blogs that don't agree with me politically; since I've already made up my mind, I find that skipping the insights of left-wingers saves time and keeps my blood pressure on an even keel.
I'm going to recommend two bloggers, since it's late at night and I'm tired. Maybe later I'll think of more.

My first pick is a fellow librarian who calls himself Akaky Bashmachkin, but I have always suspected this an alias stolen from Gogol. Anyway, he attended the same library school I did but managed to get out without totally muddling his brain, which is more than I can say for myself.

You've got to like a fellow who writes a line like this:

After all, Barack Obama probably doesn't hate white people no matter what 20-years in the pews of a racial separatist church suggests. It's just far harder to see a bunch of white people against ice and snow.

At least I do. But I'm breaking the rules, I don't believe he's small. I suspect he has more readers than I do. So what? A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

And so to bed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow the concept doesn't look like amnesty. Who's forgiven here, exactly, and for what?

It's just a promotional event for a lesser-known blogs, a recommendation spree.

The original Amnesty, as it's described in the link, while not exactly generous (since the concept is to forgive oneself: I never met a person who had much difficulty with that!), at least is closer to a dictionary definition of the word.

Personally, don't think there's gotta be a special day for it; I add and remove blogs from my blogroll all the time, often without special announcements. No big deal - blogging is not our main occupation, after all.Well, may be that's why we are small and unknown...but what if a blogger wants to keep it this way? I know I do.
After all, if you're not on someone's blogroll, they can't Amnesty you!

Akaky said...

Why, thank you, ma'am, it's very nice of you to say so. I did like Bill Katz's class on reference work, though.

miriam sawyer said...

Tat: I think amnesty day is a misnomer--but a foolish consistency...

Akaky: I liked Bill Katz; he actually had a sense of humor and was fun. The rest of the faculty were knuckleheads for the most part.