Delaware Top Blogs

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Denzel Washington gets it

air force wife appreciates Shakespeare, and a movie star with some brains for a change:

Right before the release of Manchurian Candidate, I saw an interview with the movie's stars - Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep, and the director. Inevitably, Katie Couric opened the door for talk about Politics, Jesus, and tangentially the War and Meryl Streep immediately jumped in with the same sorts of tirades we have heard time and time again.

When Denzel Washington spoke, he said this, "What I want to talk about is, what are we doing right now, today, for these young kids that are coming home? Are we embracing them? I don't hear about them being lifted up. I mean, I'm not just talking about a parade but—...Are they getting the support and love they need from us? And maybe that story's being told, but I sure haven't seen it that much in the news. Yeah, they're pointing fingers about who was right and whose wrong and who started what and where the weapons of mass destruction. But these kids are coming home. You know, I have a son, 19, 19-year-olds are coming home completely different."


There is comfort in seeing that there are those outside the band who do understand, outside of the protestations of support for one thing and not another.


I have always loved Denzel, ever since I saw him interviewed on tv. He calls his mother every day! What a guy! And handsome, too.

No comments: