Delaware Top Blogs

Friday, May 06, 2005

I'm Back!

I went to Ohio for a college reunion, Athens Ohio as a matter of fact. I had forgotten how beautiful it was, or maybe I never noticed, being heavily involved in adolescent angst at the time. Everything smelled to good, and was so green! And I saw old friends so that the event was a significant, but poignant experience for me.

Then to Columbus, home of my extended family. And are they extended. One cousin of mine and I are the only members of the family that ever escaped Columbus for any length of time. The rest are rooted there like thousand-year-old oaks.

I love all my relatives, probably because I see so little of them. But when I am with them, they seem to do little but talk on the phone. They call me to tell me they will call me later. They call each other off and on each day.

A typical conversation:
ME: I'll see you tomorrow at eleven.
RANDOM RELATIVE: Call me in the morning.
ME: OK.

The next morning:
ME: I'll see you at eleven.
RR: Call me before you come.

Later:
ME: I'm coming over.
RR: OK.

What is the significance of all this phoning? Nobody ever says anything they haven't said several times that same day.

No comments: