Delaware Top Blogs

Friday, April 01, 2005

Sick of opinions

The wonderful and always refreshing James Lileks reflects on the Internet and Terri Shiavo opinion, pro and con:

Speaking of which: if nothing else, this entire affair has made me heartily sick of the very act of reading the Internet. Pardon my language, but I am simply goddamn sick of opinions, period. Right or wrong, well-reasoned or poorly expressed, snarky or solemn, I am tired of the lot of them, my own included. I’m tired of reading blogs and bulletin boards and noting that it’s OK to joke about one dead person, perfectly fine to kick the Pope when he’s about to give up the ghost, but a breach of human decency to be less than reverential about the passing of a comic who specialized in dope humor. That sort of thing is expected on the internet, but what makes me weary is the blogligation to have an opinion about it and bang it out so the whole world knows I stand four-square against bashing near-dead Popes.


Speaking of which, the radio and television news is covering every last symptom of the Pope's condition. I expect to hear any moment now, that he has, or has not had, a bowel movement. Gruesome! Let the poor old man die in peace.

He's not married, so he doesn't have to worry about anyone pulling the plug.

Oh-oh, I've expressed an opinion. Sorry.

No comments: